Hi everyone! I’m super excited to be guest posting over at View From the Fridge today. If you haven’t checked out Katie’s awesome projects make sure you do! She recently just had her third baby, so I’m happy to be giving her some extra time to spend with her little one :)

If you follow me on Instagram, you might remember the picture I shared with you of the French Provincial dresser I found on Craigslist for $25. Well I finally got around to working on it and couldn’t be happier with the transformation. Here’s a little sneak peak and be sure to read the whole post over on Katie’s blog!

Mint and Gold French Provincial DresserHappy Hump Day!

Linking up with these lovely ladies:

Wow Us Wednesday :: The Makers :: Do Tell Tuesday :: Tutorials and Tips :: From Dream to Reality :: Hit Me with Your Best Shot :: Centerpiece Wednesday :: Whatever Goes Wednesday :: Whimsy Wednesday :: SNAP! :: The DIY’ers :: Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop :: Link it or Lump It :: Brag About It :: The Sunday Showcase :: Wicked Awesome Wednesday :: Favorite Things :: Sweet Haute :: Before and After Wednesday :: Be. YOU. tiful :: Live Laugh Linky :: All Things Thursday :: Create it Thursday :: Bloom Designs :: Thursday S.T.Y.L.E. :: Inspire Me Please :: Creativity Unleashed :: Frugal Friday :: Feathered Nest :: Furniture Feature Friday :: Link Party Palooza :: The Creative Collection :: The Party Bunch :: Super Saturday Link Party :: Skip the Housework :: Say G’Day

43 thoughts on “Mint for Me

1. Pingback: Table Transformation with Custom Blue Chalk Paint — the thinking closet

2. Katie

This dresser is super cute. I love the mint color!!! I would love it if you linked this up to my Motivate Me Monday linky party at IT’S A ginger SNAP.

3. Suzan

My girls had this set when they were younger – that color is just stunning on it ( that’s the original gold, right? )
    Beautiful job!
    Hugs
    Suzan

1. brepurposed Post author

Thank you Suzan! It’s actually not the original gold. I used Antique Gold Rub ‘N Buff over the original.

4. Pingback: Mabey She Made It Do Tell Tuesday #29 » Mabey She Made It

5. Elizabeth

I had this dresser set as a child.. Nowy girls have it. Thank you for sharing how you filled the holes… I’ve been wanting to make-over ours… Now you’ve given me inspiration!

6. Ang

OK, so how did you handle going from the wider, two-holed pulls on the lower drawers to the new, single drawer pulls you installed? did it require patching some holes? drilling some holes? etc. thanks in advance! (I too still have a similar style of dresser that is in desperate need of a face lift!) :)

1. brepurposed Post author

Hi Ang! Yes I did have to repair the holes. I used Elmer’s wood filler and you just fill it in with a putty knife or something similar and then sand it down. I usually repeat those steps 2-3 times to make sure they are completely filled and won’t leave marks. Then I just drilled a new hole for my new hardware :) I would love to see what you do with yours!

7. Kathy Mayotte

Did you keep the original handles? I have been looking for 2 for that exact dresser set that I inherited from my grandmother – I would be happy to purchase them from you if you still have them.

8. Ellie

Okay, so I’m a newbie and have never attempted to repurpose anything in my life. I have a dresser that matches this piece and I’ve wanted to repurpose it but had no clue how to work with the veneer finish. By reading your full instruction on the other link, you seemed to have trouble with the products used in the gold trimming. Would you recommend something else? Thanks in advance

1. brepurposed Post author

Hi Ellie! I had trouble with the craft paint that I tried using first. It wasn’t going on very well over the veneer. However the Rub ‘N Buff worked great although it does give it a rough texture if you don’t buff it and smooth it out, which I found hard with all the little crevices. If you wanted a smoother look, you would probably have to sand down your dresser in order for an acrylic paint to stick :)

9. christina

gorg!! Saw this reposted on Apartment Therapy’s FB page! I have a piece similar to yours, too. I’ve been wanting to give it a make over, but unsure how to paint top edges (looks identical to yours) and the design that you have on your top drawer. I have similar designs like that but all carved into the drawers. Any tips on how to paint those lovely details? Thanks!! =)

1. brepurposed Post author

Thank you Christina! So glad you stopped by :) It seems that this furniture used to be very popular, I’ve gotten so many comments from people saying they had or still have similar pieces. For the gold trim I used painters tape to mark it off. Although you have to be careful since there are so many rounded edges. I used a lot of small pieces. Then I just used a very small tipped paint brush and brushed on the gold Rub ‘N Buff. If any of it seeped through I just lightly sanded it off the top :) Since yours are carved in it will probably be harder to tape them off. I can only recommend a small brush and a very steady hand!

10. Jennifer

I have a bureau set similar to that. It was my big girl set in 1977! I have been wanting to refinish it for ages, but have no idea where to start. Was the top of the bureau a smooth surface? How did you get the paint to adhere? This is beautiful! Would love to be able to refinish mine.

1. brepurposed Post author

Hi Jennifer! Wow, you’ve held on to those pieces for a while! You should definitely refinish them, it’s not too hard at all :) The top was smooth so I didn’t do any sanding. I used a few coats of primer on the top to make sure I had a solid base for the paint to stick to and then added my paint! I used a Zinsser primer, which I highly recommend :)

11. Katie @ UpcycledTreasures

Holy cow what a great find for $25 and I LOVE how you transformed it! Thanks for sharing at The Makers! Pinned :)

1. brepurposed Post author

Right?! I was so excited it was still available! Thanks for the kind words and for sharing! :)

12. Pingback: Link It Or Lump It Sunday Link Party #43 - SohoSonnet Creative Living

13. Pingback: Summer Recipe and Ideas

1. brepurposed Post author

Hi Janet, yes it is. It was pretty smooth so I didn’t really do any sanding. Just priming :)

14. Pingback: Friday's Fab Freebie :: Week 11 ‹ BrepurposedBrepurposed

1. brepurposed Post author

Thanks, Amy! Aren’t the handles so perfect?! I love them. I think this is one my favs too! Might have to reconsider selling it haha